Amazon Holiday

Friday, April 30, 2010

Please Give


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: After a family of three buys the old lady next door's apartment, so they can tear down the walls and expand their own property, a relationship develops between the family and the old lady's granddaughters, as they all wait for the old lady to die.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt, Rebecca Hall, Amanda Peet, Sarah Steele, Ann Guilbert, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Lois Smith

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. Nicole Holofcener's films are growing on me with age. My age, not the films' ages. In other words, I'm recommending this to more mature audiences.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: If you ever knew a bitter, old lady like my grandmother (God rest her soul), who loudly speaks the offensive truth, even when people are listening, you will know exactly what's so funny about this movie.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: As much as you want her to be put out of her misery, there's something very sad about that old curmudgeon's passing... but it's probably just the feeling you get when you're forced to look directly into your own cold, dark heart.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: I'd like to give out my own Independent Film Award to one of the few independent filmmakers out there, who tells deep interesting stories, without being pretentious or forgetting to give the audience a reason to watch.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Amanda Peet stands out because in the role of the brutally honest, self-centered bitch, I'm finding that she's actually pretty entertaining. Oliver Platt blends into his character so seamlessly that I actually forgot he was in it. And where on Earth did they find that old lady? Priceless!

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Aside from the grotesque opening montage of old, saggy, mangled breasts getting compacted in a mammogram machine like cars being crushed for recycling, there are no shots that try to draw too much attention to themselves, and no inserts missed. If this were my film, I would have come out of the editing process knowing that the cut was perfect.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: In several films, now, Nicole Holofcener has shown us that she likes to examine the ins and outs of rich peoples' guilt. I also enjoy indulging in the fantasy that they have any.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/please-give/50647/trailers

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: