Amazon Holiday

Friday, January 22, 2010

Tooth Fairy


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: A failed hockey player they call "The Tooth Fairy" (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson), who no longer believes that dreams can come true, gets sentenced to spend time as the real Tooth Fairy. That'll teach him to dream small!

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Ashley Judd, Stephen Merchant, Julie Andrews, Billy Crystal, Ryan Sheckler, Chase Ellison, Destiny Grace Whitlock, Seth MacFarlane, Brandon T. Jackson

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. The Rock makes another perfectly sweet, perfectly enjoyable, perfectly innocuous movie for kids.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: If you don't associate the name Stephen Merchant with funny, then you probably don't realize that he's Ricky Gervais' side-kick/writing partner/producer, and therefore hilarious... and that's without even getting to the fact that he's almost as tall as a doorway.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: If you've ever had a dream, and someone told you that you couldn't have that dream, this movie might-- you know, maybe they just said that because they had failed at their own dream, or maybe they said it because you really suck at the thing you dream of being great at... but nonetheless, your dream was crushed, by someone, for some reason and-- still no, this movie still won't make you cry.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Best Dressed on the Red Carpet! And I'm of course talking about Rock in a pink tutu... Who are we kidding, with his giant pecks hanging out all over the place, it's actually deeply disturbing. I'd rather see Bjork in a swan dress.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: I'm so glad to see Stephen Merchant doing his own thing, and Julie Andrews doing anything, and I'd really rather see Ashley Judd doing nothing-- but that's just me. She's a fine actress, in that perfectly innocuous way that works so well for a movie starring The Rock.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: I really enjoyed the colorful special effects and the dreamlike fantasy look of Fairyland... Which reminds me of one of my favorite things a friend of mine ever posted on Facebook.

If you've ever been to Stockton, California, you know exactly how true this is.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Ah, the script... Well it has 5 writers and a separate "story by" credit, so probably it was one of those scripts where they liked the concept, then they got The Rock attached, then they realized he only had the month of March available to shoot anything for the next 3 years, so they quickly hired some people who are known for getting the story beats as simple as can be, then they hired some more people to rewrite those people on the outside chance of adding a teeny-tiny bit of complexity, and then, at the last minute, right before they lost their window with The Rock and the whole deal fell apart, they hired Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel to throw in some jokes and some people falling down on their faces. And that, Junior, is how scripts are born.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: It has nothing to do with this movie, but it has finally happened! This blog has finally won an award. So I'd like to thank Reel Whore for nominating me for The Kreativ Blogger Award!

I don't normally participate in this kind of thing, but since I truly appreciate Reel Whole for gracing me with this honor, I'm gonna go ahead and do all the things I'm supposed to do-- which are:


1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.

3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.

4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.

5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.

6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.

7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.


The 7 Blogs I would like to nominate are:
Razzball-- for getting me into this blogging racket, and being the only person I know in real life who gets about 10,000 hits a week on his site- even in the off season.
Film-Book dot Com-- for being my best blogger friend. (Film-Book is probably thinking that's very sad for me, since we hardly ever-- almost never-- talk... on any of the social networks we're "friends" on... And obviously we've never met.)
Nikki Finke's Deadeline Hollywood-- I admire her partly for her ability to scoop everyone, partly for her consistently intelligent insight into the business side of Hollywood, but mostly for her ability to openly be honest in a town most famous for lying. Her boldness scares me a little bit.
Heat Vision & the live feed-- I like that when the staff at Hollywood Reporter gets lazy, they just link all their headlines to these two blogs and let Borys Kit (movies) and James Hibberd (TV) do all the work for them. I should really be giving this award to the THR Editor for finding such a brilliant management idea as handing off the work of most and putting it on the backs of two-- Whoo-hoo! more vacation days for everybody else!
The Business of Show Institute-- Marvin Acuna has literally the best advice I have ever seen given to aspiring screenwriters trying to break into the business. He regularly comes up with outside the box gems that you may not have thought of yourself, no matter how long you've been in the business. And he gathers other experts (from fields covering internet opportunities to legal advice) to contribute to his incredibly informative weekly newsletter, which he'll send to you, just for signing up.
Notes from a School Psychologist-- This is for actually doing something for the betterment of society. Becki Branstetter's blog is both funny and informative for anyone who wants their kids to make it in the American school system, is in the American school system, or wants to help improve the American school system... in other words, it's for everyone.

And finally, the 7 things about me you might not know. (I'm hoping you've stopped reading by now.)
1. Though I'm not a very private person, I am a very private blogger.
2. I am probably the least technically competent person on the internet to have a blog. (This explains why I'm still on a blogspot platform, rather than a fancier version of a website.)
3. While I am snarky and complain a lot on my blog, in my real life I am one of the happiest most fulfilled people I know... But I'm still pretty snarky. It's fun. You should try it.
4. I am learning about the power of healing myself with my mind because I have lost faith in my ability to receive reliable healthcare service through the traditional means. I know, that's not funny, it's just sad.
5. I love my family more than the amount of hours I spend with them. And you can quote me on that.
6. I have been full grown for a while now, and I have still not decided if I believe in marriage or children. I'm starting to think my biological clock may be broken, cuz it probably should've started ticking some time ago.
7. I am highly superstitious about seeing the clock at 11:11, and I feel deeply disappointed when I just miss it. 11:12 is a very difficult time for me.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: Yes, we're back to talking about Tooth Fairy now. http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-tooth-fairy/34807/video/tooth-fairy-trailer-no-1/44593788001

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 comments:

Grey said...

This was totally unexpected. I didn't even bother writing a speech because, well, this is an online award and there's nowhere to give a speech... Then again, I'm kinda writing a speech now. Hmm... Can we consider this my speech?

Thanks again!

Film-Book dot Com said...

Thank you for the nomination. We should make an effort to talk more often.

Monique said...

lol!

Annette said...

Rule #1 for blog award acceptance: Place the badge in a widget in your sidebar so it is always visible, not in a post. (Just helpin' ya with that non-techie thing ya got goin' on.)

BTW, weird fact: I have this thing about 11:11, too! It's the only time there is perfect harmony in numbers--the only time when four of the same number appear on the clock.

But maybe that's why we're friends. We're both weird. =)

Annette said...

Oh yeah, and congrats on the award! I think I forgot to say that...

Monique said...

Thanks for trying to help, Annette, but in all your encouragement, you overlooked the fact that the award is the first thing on the sidebar, at the very top of the page. I'm may not be technically savvy, but I excel at following rules and instructions... Not to mention the fact that I WON AN AWARD!!! I want people to see it!