Amazon Holiday

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Music Never Stopped


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: A man with severe memory loss (Lou Taylor Pucci), learns to recall his teenage years by listening to the music of the 60s, and through the music, also manages to rekindle a failed relationship with his father (J.K. Simmons).

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: J.K. Simmons, Lou Taylor Pucci, Julia Ormond, Cara Seymour, Mia Maestro, Tammy Blanchard, Scott Adsit, Max Antisell

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. It's trying to attract the "mature" audience that fell so hard for The Visitor, and quite frankly, I think that audience will be pleased with this story of father and son estrangement. But don't expect to flip out over it like you did the former. This is a personal message to my Dad. I apologize to all those of you who are not him.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: It teeters on the edge of the ability to do so.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: It teeters on the edge of the ability to do this, too... or either, depending on if you're a glass full or glass empty kind of person.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Lou Taylor Pucci's role is that kind that actors take on in hopes of gaining award recognition. Unfortunately, as is the case with all the roles I've seen him play, there is something a little too actor-y about his work. In other words, he's self-conscious. So, no awards. But the songs on the soundtrack have won enough awards, between them, to more than make up for it.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: J.K. Simmons does a nice job of playing a character with more than one dimension. Among the other members of the cast, I heard English accents slipping out of more than one of them, and on more than one occasion.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Despite the familiar soundtrack, there is an energy missing from the film, which is causing all the emotional teetering. I'm pretty sure it's because first time director, Jim Kohlberg, is still learning how to control his edits.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: It's based on a true story, and without that little nugget, it would be even more predictable than it is.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: The Music Never Stopped Trailer

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I should reach for the Geritol and Depends. I loved The Visitor and the trailer to this just made me cry. But that could be because my dad died when I was 21 and the only memories I have were from my childhood/teens. It looks good, but I don't think I could watch it.

Monique said...

Sounds like this one is for you. A yellow doesn't mean don't go. It means, "If this sounds like your bag, go for it."