Amazon Holiday

Monday, November 29, 2010

Tiny Furniture


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: After graduating from college, Aura (Lena Dunham) moves back in with her mom and tries to find herself.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Lena Dunham, Laurie Simmons, Grace Dunhan, Jemima Kirke, Alex Karpovsky, David Call, Merritt Wever, Amy Seimetz

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketStop! This film has been all the rage at Sundance and on the indy scene, even to the point where Judd Apatow hand-picked the writer-director, Lena Denham, to develop a television pilot with him, because he was such a big fan. You can imagine my curiosity about a movie that could draw the attention of the most important comedic auteur of my generation... but if I'm honest, I have to say that I totally didn't get it.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: It's supposed to, but it didn't make me.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: It makes me want to cry to see such acclaim go to a film that has a few redeeming qualities, and a few interesting turns of phrase, but ultimately is about nothing and goes nowhere.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Don't ask me, I'm out of the loop on this one.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: I was unable to take my eyes off of Jemima Kirke when she was on screen. She is talented and beautiful enough to claw herself all the way to the A-List. Lena Dunham, on the other hand, who stars in her own film, has my mind in a pickle. Due to the dialogue that she herself wrote, her friends in the movie constantly tell her that she looks great and is so pretty, but the girl I was looking at was borderline homely, and hadn't even brushed her thin, matted hair in the back. Normally, I might give her a pass for that because she can't see it in the mirror, but on movie sets you have a hair person, who can see the back of your head, so there's really no excuse besides that she wanted to look ugly with bad hair. Worst of all, her character isn't particularly good-looking on the inside either. She is whiny and selfish, entitled, and manipulative. All I can say is she never would've gotten this role if she weren't sleeping with the director.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Some of the shots are interesting. Especially the extraneous ones Dunham shows of herself getting dressed in see-through clothing, showering naked doggy-style, and walking around with no underwear on. Why she thinks anyone wants to see that is just further proof of how much I don't get this movie.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: The one thing this movie does well is capture that after-college angst of being lost and aimless and living at home like a big loser. But at some point I found myself desperately wanting to leave the theater. Maybe it was too cold in there, maybe I had realized the movie was going nowhere, or maybe I had simply realized that I didn't care whether the movie was going anywhere. I stuck it out, though, just so I could tell you with certainty that the ending does not make the rest of the viewing experience feel worthwhile.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: If anyone has seen this and got it, please share your insights. I really would like to know what's so great about this story.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/tiny-furniture/10033725/trailers

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 comments:

Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monique said...

Thanks, German! And might I add that the tiny furniture plays almost no part in the story. Hope your kids enjoys playing with it, though.

Unknown said...

Watch the interviews, trailers and behind the scenes of Tiny Furniture Movie and many more videos.