Amazon Holiday

Monday, May 10, 2010

Letters to Juliet


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: In Verona, Italy, there is a wall where broken-hearted lovers write letters to Juliet Capulet. While on a pre-wedding honeymoon with her semi-absent fiancé, Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) discovers this tradition and writes back to a woman (Vanessa Redgrave) who left a letter there 50 years ago, changing the course of that woman's life as well as her own.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Amanda Seyfried, Christopher Egan, Vanessa Redgrave, Gael Garcia Bernal, Franco Nero, Luisa Ranieri, Marina Massironi, Lidia Biondi, Milena Vukotic, Luisa De Santis, Marcia DeBonis

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. The problem with young love is that it's based on feelings, smells, and other animal instincts. That kind of love doesn't tell you anything about what your day to day life would be like with someone if you were to actually marry them. And since that's the only part of the love that is shown or expressed in either of the main couples, I am left with a feeling, smell and animal instinct that in real life, they're not gonna make it.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: Some of the sincerely delivered declarations of true love are kind of laughable.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: The violins in the score sure do try hard to push you in that direction.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: The award here goes out to Missed Connections on craigslist.com and Facebook. Thanks to computers, these days, we can track down all our star-crossed past loves without the nasty expense of flying all the way to Italy... Wait, what I meant to say was, "Damn you, computers!!!"

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Amanda Seyfried is lucky I've seen Chloe, Mean Girls, and Mamma Mia, because if I had to rely on this film alone to judge her acting, I'd think she was very mediocre. And I don't know where they dug up this British* guy, Christopher Egan, but he walks funny, and unfortunately, it lowers his sex appeal by at least half. (*I've just been informed that they dug up the British guy in Australia. Which explains why they liked him, because with an Australian accent, this guy is practically a clone of Heath Ledger. And who wouldn't want to discover the next Heath Ledger?... But looks aside, I'm not convinced he's it.)

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Everyone in the film has noticeably beautiful eyes, and can someone please tell me why I've never been to Italy?! Oh, wow, I just figured out what you guys are buying me for my birthday.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: So the reason we're supposed to dislike the original fiancé is because he's too passionate about his work. Okay, first of all, he works as a restaurateur, and while in Italy he wants to go to all his vendors to taste their wine, cheese, olive oil, and salami. I'm sorry, but how does she manage to find fault in that? That's what people go to Italy to do! Second of all, I don't remember the last time I met a guy who was that passionate about his work, because if I did, I'd probably be in love with him as we speak. And lastly, what on Earth does she see in the pompous English a-hole that she's forced to travel with, and when exactly do they fall in love?The only "moment" I saw, was the one when he went from hating her to staring at her with googly eyes for no apparent reason.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: There's too much looking for Lorenzo.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/letters-to-juliet/37890/trailers

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: