Amazon Holiday

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Q: What’s the movie about?

A: Where did Wolverine come from? How did he get to be the way he is? You will find out, but he won't.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Will.i.am, Lynn Collins, Kevin Durand, Dominic Monaghan, Taylor Kitsch, Daniel Henney, Ryan Reynolds

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. After resisting seeing this movie, I have to say, it's not nearly as bad as you think it's going to be. I'd even go so far as to admit that it's a lot of fun-- so long as you don't require any elements that you've never seen before in a film.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: There are several efforts made, but none of them are successful.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: I hope you don't mind fingernails on a chalkboard, because in a movie featuring so many characters with remarkable nails, you're bound to get a lot of them scratching up things... and the flesh is almost easier to take than the metal.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: How great is Weapon XI? Best bad guy ever! Talk about having it all!

Q: How is the Acting?

A: As good of an actor as Hugh Jackman is, I sometimes have a hard time getting past his total thespianism. His posture in the the way he walks, and stands, and glares is so actor-y to me, that I don't always see a tough guy-killer, but rather a sweet, family man, who likes to take on interesting roles. And I love Danny Huston, but the mere fact that he's cast in a role, gives away who the bad guy is going to be. He needs to play some nice guys soon, to bring back that element of surprise.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: The directing is fast-paced and move-y. So much so, that it inspired me to make up a word... only to realize that the word already exists, and it's spelled, "movie." But, yeah, I thought the directing was great.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: The fights, the superpowers, the special effects, are all there. And the story is absolutely adequate, too. They kind of had it easy though, since we already know that Wolverine doesn't remember his past, from the X-Men movies we've already seen. So the writers could basically do anything, because they have to erase his memory by the end, for continuity, so this story is ultimately irrelevant to the rest of the lore.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: Do not stay for the little scene after the credits. It's not nearly interesting enough to justify sitting through approximately 17 minutes of visual effects credits.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/x-men-origins-wolverine/30722/trailers

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 comments:

Farzan said...

Nice review, I didn't like the movie. I gave it a D+ in my review and thought it was disappointing when compared to its trailer. I couldn't believe Jackman was so foolish to commit to a script so badly written. Than again, my review is based on the leaked un-finished movie so I don't know how much different the final product is.

Monique said...

I'll check out your review, and see why you hated it, and if it was different than the final version. I thought it was a fun story. Pointless and irrelevant, since they erase it all at the end. But what are you gonna do? They had to.

Kenny Wyland said...

I don't have the details, but I believe that the story was a community donation. If I understand it correctly, the X-Men fan community was tasked with writing a backstory for Wolverine several years ago. They sifted through the offerings, found a good one, altered it here and there and then turned it into a movie.

I really enjoyed the movie despite a couple of moments that I thought were poorly written.

Monique said...

That's interesting, Kenny. I hadn't heard about that.

And here's another question for those of you in the know. Why does Wolverine age from a child until he's Hugh Jackman's age, and then stop aging for the rest of history?

Kenny Wyland said...

The true answer to that is "because it serves the story line." However, the concept that I've always used to explain this kind of thing is that his power keep him from degenerating. From childhood to adulthood you are growing. From adulthood to death you are deteriorating, so the healing factor doesn't stunt his growth, it just keeps him from deteriorating and dying.

At least that is the way I've explained it to myself.

Anonymous said...

That's easy M.

Because the X-Men movies are soooo much better and more interesting with Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine than if we had to endure 4 X-Men movies starring that horrible kid (who played Young Spock in STAR TREK) as an ageless Wolvie. (I know they would have cast him just to torture me.)

xo
--rp

Monique said...

@ Kenny: That's a very elegant argument, Kenny.

@ rp: I thought young Spock was adorable. And what does he have to do with Wolverine? I though the kid who played the young wolverine was good too.