Amazon Holiday

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Q: What’s the movie about?

A: Hellboy returns to save humanity from a forgotten Prince, who is disillusioned with the human race and wants to raise his mechanical, Golden Army from their slumber, in order to do away with peace and people.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor, Doug Jones, Seth MacFarlane, Luke Goss, Anna Watson, John Hurt

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. For a movie that's been so critically praised, it sure has a lot of illogical and boring parts. My conclusion, people are crazy in love with Guillermo del Toro. Unfortunately, your love for del Toro's directing can blind you to the fact that he's not a very good writer.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: There's a scene where they get drunk and listen to Barry Manilow. It's funny, but it also feels like it belongs to a different movie. Like Tropic Thunder.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: I had heard this film had a lot of heart... I looked for it... Who knows, maybe I'm the one who's heartless.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: The makeup is great, but also feels ripped off from Pan's Labyrinth.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Everyone is good except Selma Blair, who exudes none of the sense of powerfulness that seems requisite to a superhero character. She's cute. She's pouty. But I think you could knock her over with a feather. Even when she's on fire.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: When it comes to the directing, even I am crazy in love with Guillermo del Toro.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: I didn't buy it. The bad guys could've easily won about 40 minutes in, if they had wanted to. And again 50 minutes in, and a few other times, too. The conceit of a twin brother and sister being able to read each other's thoughts ruins all the suspense, and forces the bad twin to let the good guys off the hook too many times. Even the final twist is obvious, causing you to wonder why the good guys didn't figure it out before you did.

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 comments:

Farzan said...

Good review. Alot of my friends said this was a great movie and much better than the first one. Ill look into soon

Monique said...

Thanks Farzan. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it, when you see it. I woke up this morning thinking about even more moments in the film which were completely illogical... I think hellboy is a nice character, but the story in this film has PROBLEMS!

Farzan said...

oh, how were the visuals in the movie. I heard Guillermo del Toro was great at this and the trailer showed some neat creatures

Monique said...

Del Toro is a pro in the visual department. The lighting is deep and saturated, the FX are realistic looking, and there's at least one good fight scene (at the end), that uses a very original arena. The directing is the strongest thing in the film.

The creatures are interesting and often gross, but if you've seen Pan's Labyrinth, they don't seem that original, cuz the creatures look like they could be realated in the two films. He relies on his old tricks (from Pan's) like putting eyeballs in strange places, and having characters with long reptilian faces and just nostrils for noses.

Jacstev said...

For me, this film is truly deserve my admission pay. I really like and enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. Guillermo is also included on my fave director list.