Amazon Holiday

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Circumstance


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: A pair of teenage girls (Nikohl Boosheri & Sarah Kazemy) fall in lesbian love in Iran, where it's illegal to be gay.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Nikohl Boosheri, Sarah Kazemy, Reza Sixo Safai, Soheil Parsa, Nasrin Pakkho, Sina Amedson, Keon Mohajeri

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. Those of you who love truly independent should run to see this movie because you will love it. For the rest of you, I'm going to throw out some keywords, and you can decide for yourself if it sounds up your alley: lesbian teens, oppression, surveillance, religious fanaticism, men controlling women, secret lives, secret clubs, lack of freedom, rape. So, you in?

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: As part of their rebellion, they decide to dub the movie Milk into farsi... but mostly we watch them do the sex scenes.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: More like rise up and fight for these poor Iranians.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Best Foot Rape scene. Did you know that it's possible to rape someone just by rubbing their foot? Well, you do now... Oh, and it also won the Audience Award at Sundance.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Superb. Every single actor in the film brings something unique and unexpected to their role.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Very independent. At times it jumps around, leaving scenes abruptly and entering others without warning. You are often left wondering what a scene was doing in the film, and yet you find yourself giving the director the benefit of the doubt, thinking to yourself that it probably needed to be there and you're just a little too dumb to figure out why.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: This is a script of few words. And many long stares. Sometimes too long, bordering on melodrama. But sometimes just right, bordering on letting you in on the storyline.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: Circumstance Trailer

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

ArtsBeatLA said...

Hmmmnnnnnn intriguing review, but judging by the keywords, I doubt I will go see it.

And yeah, foot-rubbing can be fairly erotic and certainly intimate. I reckon if some creep held me down and rubbed my foot when I didn't want him touching me, that'd feel like a pretty disturbing assault.

But maybe it just looks stupid on screen? I dunno and I don't really wanna see for myself.

Monique said...

The foot rub is disturbing and doesn't look stupid. I was being sincere when I made that comment. It was well done and weird.

It's a good movie for sure. It's just not for everybody. Interesting though to see this whole secret underground life going on in Iran amongst teens. It reminds me of Abolition. You can make stuff illegal, but people will do it anyway.