Amazon Holiday

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Midnight in Paris


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: An engaged man from the present day (Owen Wilson) falls for a woman from the 1920s (Marion Cotillard), who dreams of living during the Belle Epoque. The one thing they can agree on, Paris is the only place to be.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, Michael Sheen, Kathy Bates, Carla Bruni, Corey Stoll, Alison Pill, Tom Hiddleston, Kurt Fuller, Mimi Kennedy, Lea Seydoux, Marcial Di Fonzo Bo, Adrien Brody, Gad Elmaleh

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. Personally, I could’ve sat and watched this movie for another 2 weeks. It has everything I love: Paris, Owen Wilson, Paris… But unless you’re a very well-read and highly cultured individual, many of the references will be over your head, and the storyline’s not enough to make up for it. Then again, you’ll always have Paris.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: Michael Sheen’s pretension had me giggling through every one of his scenes.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: I felt sad that I wasn’t inside the picture.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Anyone who gives me this much Paris to dream about has my vote!

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Owen Wilson plays a great Woody Allen. And he may even be the first to do it without losing himself. At the same time, it’s kind of unsettling to see a Texas good ol’ boy embracing his love for a place that is sooo not Texas. In retrospect, I'd like to add that I can't stop thinking about Alison Pill, who is an absolute stand-out as Zelda Fitzgerald.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Never been Woody Allen’s forte, but Paris’ beauty is impossible to miss.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Scripting is Woody Allen’s forte, and while the dialogue remains witty, this script has several amateur mistakes. Rachel McAdams’ character has so few redeeming qualities, that even the Mean Girl herself can’t infuse any charm into her. The fantasy element is fun, but it doesn’t build beyond the one note joke of getting to hang out with famous dead people. Once you’ve established that, a professional screenwriter is supposed to do something with them. I’m assuming Woody Allen doesn’t know this, because he never went to see Night at the Museum. Then again, I can’t stay mad at him for throwing together a script whose sole purpose seems to be to showcase Paris.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: I've always thought Ernest Hemingway was one of my favorite authors. Between you and me, I've only actually read one of his books, but I read it like six times, so I think I get a lot of cred for that! But my point is, after seeing Corey Stoll's interpretation of Hemingway's speech patterns, which so cleverly mimic his writing style, I remember all the more clearly why I love Hemingway so very much.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: Midnight in Paris Trailer

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 comments:

Castor said...

Highly looking forward to seeing this this weekend. Looks like a delightful movie!

Monique said...

Let me know what you think!

ArtsBeatLA said...

Quite a few friends have claimed it's the best Woody Allen ever -- the BEST!

Even tho I also adore Paris, I find this hard to believe...

Annie Hall? Play it Again Sam? Crimes and Misdemeanors? Hannah & Sisters? Alice???

There's a lot to beat.

Monique said...

To which I would add: Match Point, Vicky Christina Barcelona...

Your friends are having short-term memory loss. This film is fun, but not a good film. He's done many better ones. But if you love Paris, you should go to it regardless.

ArtsBeatLA said...

Who doesn't luff Paris?!! Srsly...