Amazon Holiday

Friday, December 11, 2009

Crazy Heart


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: Another story about a washed up singer who turns to alcoholism. This time it’s Country.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Colin Farrell, Robert Duvall, James Keane, Jack Nation, Ryan Bingham

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketStop! You’ve seen this movie already. The only reason to go to this would be for the music, so if you like blues-influenced country music, you should save your money for the soundtrack.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: The singer has an agent, and agents in movies are usually as funny as agents in real life are upsetting.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: Maggie Gyllenhaal cries in almost every scene she has. Often for reasons that don’t make much sense, like that Jeff Bridges is lying in her bed writing a pretty song.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Since most of the songs were written by T. Bone Burnett, I imagine at least one of them will get nominated for something. He’s really hot right now. And according to the marketing campaign for this very movie, Jeff Bridges has practically already won his first Academy Award for this performance.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Jeff Bridges is totally believable as a country singer, from his southern accent to his gravitas. Next to him, Colin Farrell’s complete lack of on screen charisma becomes ever more apparent.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: The Southwest locations are pretty. The motel rooms and bars are ugly. And the concerts rip off shots from Walk the Line have already been spoofed in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story… so they end up seeming funny, instead of cool.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Movies about has-been alcoholics who used to be famous are depressing. Nobody cares!... Unless that alcoholism leads to something spectacular, like the invention of a usable jet pack, please don't subject me to this played out storyline anymore.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/crazy-heart/1441169/trailers

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Review the difference between "lay" and "lie." RIght now you're getting a red light for grammar.

Monique said...

Dear Anonymous,

I always appreciate when people catch my typos and tell me, because I write a ton of words and sentences every week, without an editor to double check things from an outside point of view, so I am bound to make mistakes once in a while. In those cases, I do want to correct them sooner rather than later so that a minimum of readers will be exposed to them. The "lay vs lie" mistake is known to be a common one, which most English speaking natives do not get right. My point is, you'd have to be a real nit-picker to care enough to give me a red light for that mistake.

But I would also like to give you some advice:
1. If you disagree with my take on the movie, that's what you should write about in your comment. (Based on your nasty tone, I am to deduce that what I wrote has upset you.)
2. If you have something mean to say (or something potentially useful that you have to say in a mean way) you should have the guts to post your name and a link to your own brilliant grammatical-error-free blog, so that I can see who you are, and judge for myself if I should consider you the grammar police. And,
3. When you write a nasty post about someone's grammar, you should always double and triple check to make sure you don't have any typos of your own, like capitalizing the first 2 letters of the first word in a sentence, instead of just the first one. RIght?

Lots of love,
Monique