Amazon Holiday

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Proposal

Q: What’s the movie about?

A: When a powerhouse publisher (Sandra Bullock) finds out she's getting deported back to Canada, she blackmails her assistant (Ryan Reynolds) into marrying her for the Green Card. Because she's a beeatch!

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Betty White, Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson, Malin Akerman, Oscar Nunez, Denis O'Hare, Aasif Mandvi

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketGo! This movie makes you wanna kiss somebody.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: It's funny how, in romantic comedies, relationships are so much cooler than in real life. I guess real life relationships would be cool, too, if you never had to find out what happens to you after the first three days.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: It makes me cry to know that no matter how many sweet movies I go see, in my real life, the a-holes I encounter never turn out to have a heart. You know who you are... Oh, no wait, you're too full of yourself to know that you don't have a heart. Well, rest assured, we know who you are.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Best night scenes to take place in full daylight. Thank you, Alaska. You are a very confusing place. But at least now I understand why you pick such strange leadership. You haven't had a good night's sleep since last winter.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Cliche alert!!! Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds have great chemistry... But they actually do. And Oscar Nunez gets laughs just for showing up. (You'll know what I mean when you see it.)

Q: How is the Directing?

A: I love that Anne Fletcher's career is thriving! What would I love more? To see more than one woman director thriving at a time. One scene I was particularly impressed by was the naked collision scene. Spoiler alert!!! (Not really-- it's in the trailer) She manages to show all the movement and action of naked people accidentally walking into each other, without showing any of the nudity. I sat for several moments wondering how she pulled it off so well. When I see it on DVD, I'll make a point to pay closer attention.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Peter Chiarelli does a nice job setting up a story that seems impossible to justify. Sure you have to ignore a couple of realities, like the sexual harrassment lawsuit Reynolds could have filed and won, but the one thing I had a hard time overlooking-- and I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm stereotyping-- was Sandra Bullock's personality. Because I have never met a Canadian that wasn't nice.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-proposal/30250/trailers

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 comments:

Farzan said...

I kind of want to see this. I know its mostly a chick flick, but at least it looks funnier than Year One. Its also nice to see Sandra Bullock doing more funny films like this.

Monique said...

If you already like Sandra Bullock, this film should be a treat. It is a rom-com/"chick flick", but I don't think it alienates men, because Ryan Reynolds' character is pretty manly in the way he approaches it all. Not your typical, unrealistic, sweet, romantic, rom-com guy.

Anonymous said...

I liked the allusion to Sara Palin in the awards section. I've heard sleep deprivation causes people to hallucinate. Maybe that's how she got voted in as governor...

Prisqua said...

I actually really enjoyed this movie and Sandra Bullock looked so beautiful!

hanum said...

good character building woman played. I like this movie ;)