Amazon Holiday

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Take Shelter


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: A man (Michael Shannon) starts to dream about a dangerous storm that makes people and animals violent, and in his effort to protect his family, everyone (including him) thinks he's losing his mind.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain, Tova Stewart, Shea Whigham, Kathy Baker, Lisa Gay Hamilton, Ray McKinnon, Katy Mixon, Robert Longstreet

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. This movie made me feel like I wanted to be anywhere else. But maybe that's because I hate horror movies. Don't get me wrong, the film is definitely a drama first, but the horror-like dream sequences are deeply anxiety inducing.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: A man losing his mind is only funny when Bill Murray plays him.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: You know what makes me cry? The fact that I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that even attempted to entertain me... And you wonder why The Help is still in the top 5! (Okay, so I do remember, it was The Help.) But my point is-- entertain me people! I don't go to the movies to hear about your problems.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: As a French person I am embarrassed, but not surprised to see that this movie won the Critics Week Grand Prize at Cannes.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: If the little 6-year-old girl playing the deaf daughter isn't really deaf, then I'm really impressed with her... And if she is deaf, I'm pretty impressed, too.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Too slow, too long, and too self-indulgent. What I'm saying is that I had a lot of time during the film to think about how pissed off I am that somebody crashed into my car today. But for the sake of not being a total haterator, I should tell you that the special effects are excellent and the score should take the majority of the credit when it comes to inducing anxiety.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Most people who like horror don't really go for important dramas, and most people who like important dramas don't really like horror, but maybe this film will find that miniscule cross-section of people who like a good scare as they watch a married couple fall apart due to a psychological disorder. I'm certainly not it. But maybe I'm just bitter because someone crashed into my car today.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: You may love a lot of the elements of the film, whether it be the cinematography, the character study, or the performances (which are no better or worse than any of these talented actors have done in other films), but for me what is lacking is a reason to subject myself to this painful experience.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: Take Shelter Trailer

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: