Amazon Holiday

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Another Earth


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: At the moment we discover another parallel Earth, a teenage girl (Brit Marling) drunk drives into a family of three, killing the wife and young son. When she gets out of jail, 4 years later, she tries to apologize to the surviving husband (William Mapother), and ends up becoming his maid instead, giving them an opportunity to get to know each other.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Brit Marling, William Mapother, Jordan Baker, Flint Beverage, Robin Lord Taylor, Kumar Pallana, Diane Ciesla

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketGo! Not since Birdie (1984) has a film that just barely holds my attention become an instant indy classic based 100% on the conclusion.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: Did you laugh during Winter's Bone? Because this is just a repeat of that cold, dark tone, with a vastly different plot.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: Gasp, yes. Empathize, yes. Cringe, yes. Cry? It's almost too depressing for that simple of an emotion.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: It won two special prizes at Sundance. Why do you think I went to see it?

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Brit Marling, much like Jennifer Lawrence, is a beautiful blond playing a low class dirty tough chick. Unlike Jennifer Lawrence, Brit Marling fails at hiding her beauty in this role. But I can definitely see why everyone was talking about her after Sundance. She's an A-lister in the making. William Mapother also breaks out in this role, although I personally wasn't nearly as impressed with his acting or his beauty. (And a lot of the time I was distracted by looking for similarities between him and his cousin Tom Cruise (maiden name "Mapother"), of which there are plenty.) Special mention to Jordan Baker, in the tiny role of Brit Marling's mom, because she reminds me of Diane Keaton, and on Another Earth, could've had her career.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Mike Cahill makes his directing debut with this incredibly Sundance-y looking film. The Winter's Bone influence works well enough, but on more than one occasion, he uses dissolves in a way that reminds me of a cheesy 1970s Steely Dan Video.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Brit Marling and Mike Cahill, who have collaborated before and I assume are dating (this is how rumors get started), write a slow, quiet, and somber movie with enough poignant dilemmas to keep your attention until the Inception-like ending, which puts the whole story over the top.

Q: Is there anything else worth mentioning about the movie?

A: I know this is terrible to bring up, but I'd like to take wagers on how many months Brit Marling can make it in Hollywood without getting a boob job. I don't normally notice this through clothes, but she's the most flat-chested actress I've seen since Selma Blair. I'm giving her 2 more flat chested movies, and by the 3rd, I'm expecting to see a C-cup. So, I guess that adds up to about 9 months. Come on, you love me because I'm honest!

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: Another Earth Trailer

Back To TopAddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: