Amazon Holiday

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alice in Wonderland


Q: What’s the movie about?

A: Now almost 20 years old, Alice returns to her reoccurring "dream" of Wonderland, but this time, it may not be a dream.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover, Leo Bill, Mairi Ella Challen, and the voices of Matt Lucas, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, Alan Rickman, Barbara Windsor, Paul Whitehouse, Timothy Spall,

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. I can't figure out if I have fond memories of this story because the first time I was introduced to it I was a young child, or because it was the 1970s, a time when we expected all forms of media to make about as much sense as an acid trip.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: Tweedledee and Tweedledum are still cute... and still only humorous to people with underdeveloped brains, like the Red Queen and small children.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: If you're one of those rigid parents who believes that any movie with smoking in it should be rated R, you will be gravely disappointed to find out that the caterpillar still smokes a hookah pipe, and you may have to fake tears when your kids reveal to your husband that you took them to a movie with a drug smoking insect in it.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: It definitely deserves awards for Art Decoration, Costume Design, and Makeup Design. I want to do my eyes like Johnny Depp's!

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Anne Hathaway has been getting a bad rap for this performance, but I quite enjoyed her ethereal choices. Helena Bonham Carter, who I generally love, goes to far too much trouble to make her Red Queen different than those that came before her, but I just wanted to hear "Off with her Head!" said in the same old, comfort-food way. And Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter isn't nearly as annoying as the preview makes it look... He's actually kind of sweet and logical for a guy who's totally mad.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: For once Tim Burton's style is more beautiful in its fantastical nature than scary. He creates a world that you might actually want to visit. But I'm over 3D. It's rarely worth the extra charge, and I recently read an article that if you watch too much of it, it will ruin your depth perception-- which is why I'm deathly afraid of the 3D TVs that are being released on the market in the next few weeks. I mean a movie here and there, your eyes might survive, but I guarantee that if people start watching all their TV in 3D, we're gonna have a lot more car accidents.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: It's been done before. Literally. Over 20 times.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWsZ2b_pK4

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: