Amazon Holiday

Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Ugly Truth

Q: What’s the movie about?

A: A TV morning show producer (Katherine Heigl) is forced unwillingly to work with a man (Gerard Butler) whose views about love and relationships are diametrically opposed to hers, so he bets her his job that he's right and she's out of her mind.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Katherine Heigl, Gerard Butler, Bree Turner, Eric Winter, Nick Searcy, Jesse D. Goins, Cheryl Hines, John Michael Higgins, Noah Matthews, Kevin Connolly, Bonnie Somerville, Yvette Nicole Brown, Nate Corddry, Craig Ferguson, Rocco DiSpirito, Valente Rodriguez

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. Unless you're a woman, in which case there's no reason you shouldn't go. As far as I'm concerned, this movie gives chick-flicks a good name. But as much as it tries to reach across the gender aisle with sex jokes and casting the hero of 300 in the romantic lead, this film is still too true to the romantic-comedy genre to attract any of the "typical men" it depicts so vividly.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: Not a ton, but no one expects to laugh a lot at comedies that have the term "romantic" in front of them, any more.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: Only if you've never seen a romantic comedy before, and you don't know that after the sad part where they are separated forever, something happy happens... I'm sorry, should I have said, spoiler alert? Well if I ruined anything for you, I'd like to put forth my deepest apologies, and wish you a happy 8th birthday.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: Well for Katherine Heigl, this rom-com marks her third big one in as many years, so I think it's fair to predict that she will have the Lifetime Achievement of being looked back on as an era in romantic comedy, much like Julia Roberts and Andie MacDowell.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Gerard Butler is incredibly charismatic. The proof is that you want Heigl to be with him despite the fact that the other guy has nothing whatsoever wrong with him, except the fact that he's hot, tan, and chiseled to perfection.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Robert Luketic did a good job directing poker drama, 21, but I'm just happy to see him back where he belongs, right here directing cute little movies for the ladies.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: I love Kristen Smith and Karen McCullah Lutz, who brought us The House Bunny, 10 Things I Hate About You, and one of my all time faves, Legally Blonde. They have a way of keeping the predictable fare they write light, fun, and sometimes even original. At some point, they came on board first-time writer, Nicole Eastman's script. And the only complaint I have for the three of them is that the female supporting character, Joy (Bree Turner), clearly has more interest in dating and sex than the boss she is advising, so at a certain point I start to wonder why she's not the one partaking in it. Everyone knows the confidante's only role is to give the main character someone to express her feelings to out loud. But you can't have the confident saying things like, (paraphrasing) "I want to have sex, so I'm going to live vicariously through you." That doesn't make any logical sense. Even when it comes from one of us crazy, irrational women.

Q: Where can I see the trailer?

A: http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-ugly-truth/33124/trailers

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: