Amazon Holiday

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Drillbit Taylor

Q: What’s the movie about?

A: Three high school Freshmen hire a bodyguard (Owen Wilson) to defend them from the school bully.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Owen Wilson, Troy Gentile, Leslie Mann, Nate Hartley, David Dorfman, Alex Frost, Josh Peck, Valerie Tian, Danny McBride... and a great cameo by the bodyguard from My Bodyguard, which I'm only spoiling because that movie came out 28 years ago, and you might not remember what he looks like if I don't tell you to look for him.

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: PhotobucketProceed with Caution. Did you know that Drillbit Taylor is a homeless person? Yeah, it's kind of depressing. And despite his generally positive attitude about it, it lends a sad undertone to the first three-quarters of the film. Thankfully, the climax is satisfying.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: Sure, but don't expect a laugh riot.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: How should I know? I've never been bullied.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: I don't know who ShoWest is, but they always seem to be giving out awards for the Star of Tomorrow. By weighing their odds with a cast this young, I think these guys might be angling for that one. It's their only chance.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: Owen Wilson's lines weren't up to his ability, but he still made the best of all of them. And Troy Gentile, who often gets cast as a young Jack Black, has a huge career in front of him-- so long as he doesn't start doing drugs like the rest of them.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: I've got no complaints.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Could've been a lot funnier, more heart, less predictable, more clever, less over-the-top... But it wasn't that bad.

Back To Top
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: